Tuesday, January 14, 2020

No Phone? No Problem

My husband and I just returned from a quick vacation to Switzerland (which was lovely! One of my favorite countries so far; I highly recommend it! Pictures below.) Partway through our trip, I climbed off a bus and realized, as I watched its taillights disappear, that I'd left my cell phone on my seat.

Whoops.

In previous trips abroad, I went months without a smartphone, and it wasn't an issue. As someone who didn't get a cell phone until I was in college, didn't get a smartphone until I graduated from college, and didn't consistently use a smartphone until I moved back to the US a few years ago, I've always been okay without a phone. I never thought I was one of the people addicted to technology at my fingertips.

Turns out I was wrong.

Being on a trip without a cell phone now is hard. I didn't bring a camera, extra books, a GPS or map, study materials for my upcoming exams, a guidebook, an alarm clock, a pocket translator...the list goes on. Most of us don't pack these things anymore, because our phones accomplish all of that and more. It's not that I'm addicted to my phone; it's that my phone is useful. (Full disclosure - the hardest part was that I almost ran out of books to read. What good is a vacation without lots of books to read??)

As frustrating as the experience was, though, I actually started to enjoy it. We found ourselves talking to random strangers on the train or at tourist sites. I spent most of a boat ride just staring out at the water and reveling in the feel of the breeze on my face instead of trying to film the whole thing. And without access to a single messenger app or email, I basically had an excuse to ignore everybody who wasn't in the same room as me; it was oddly freeing and kind of nice!

Returning to school this year, I've found myself surrounded by technology, and I can't help but notice the ways technology at college has changed since I graduated nine years ago. Students are on their phones constantly, to a degree I would have thought was hyperbole if I wasn't seeing it firsthand. There seems to be no point trying to start a conversation; nobody will engage when they're already engaged on their device. Signs around campus extol students to look up from their screens, warning that there are stairs or a street crossing ahead.

I don't know why it's bothered me so much this year; technology was a part of my life before I came here. Perhaps it's the striking difference between interpersonal communication now and during my last college experience. Perhaps it's the struggle of being in a new city and trying to make friends. Perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

I wish I had more solutions, but I don't. Phones aren't going anywhere, and I doubt this technology-focused culture will change anytime soon. But can I make a suggestion? The next time you go on vacation, consider turning your phone off for a while. You might find that you like it.


Photo spam from our vacation, because I can't help it:

Sunset from the water taxi across Lake Lucerne (Photo credit goes to my husband!)
The top of Mt. Rigi, with the Alps in the distance (Photo credit goes to my husband!)
The view looking down from Mt. Rigi. (Photo credit goes to my husband!)
The backyard of our B&B, right on the water 
Lucerne
The Chapel Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment